By Tracey Pace, www.classiccutsandshaves.com
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 8:00 AM CST
- Ideally shower first or at least rinse your face well with warm water to soften your beard. Never shave cold or apply shaving products to a dry face.
- Use a shaving brush like the men-u barbiere (as top barbers do) with bristles that have the right balance between softness (to create a rich creamy lather that stays close to the skin) and resistance to raise the beard (making a closer cut easier!)
- Use a shaving cream that has a high concentration of lubricants (eg silicones) and moisturizers such as shave cream. The less “foaming” in the shave cream the better, as it is what is in contact with the skin and beard that matters – all else is wasted. Less resistance, less irritation and less nicks also mean a longer lasting blade!
- Apply the shaving cream using the brush in a circular motion ending in an upward stroke to stand your beard up and away from the face.
- Always use a good quality sharp razor blade. Ideally shave in the direction of the beard growth. Rinse your blade under hot water often. The cleaner the blade the better the result.
- Start with the sides, then the moustache area and last the chin. The chin hairs are the toughest, so this allows them the most time to soften under the shave cream.
- If you wish to achieve an even closer shave (as many barbers do) apply some more lather from your brush (add more cream if necessary) to the areas you wish to shave again. This is one of the extra advantages of using a brush.
- After shaving, when the skin is most vulnerable, rinse the face with warm water and use healthy facial wash that has a high concentration of tea tree oil (natural antiseptic and ideal to help cleanse and protect from spots and shaving rash). Also included is witch hazel for its soothing, healing and astringent properties.
- Rinse with the coolest water that is comfortable and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Finish off with facial moisturizer lift, designed as an aftershave balm and moisturizer in one. It soothes and moisturizes post shave and has mint & menthol to cool and refresh. You will feel it working! There is no greasiness and after a few seconds your skin will feel “talcum powder” soft.
Classic Cuts and Shaves (Click Link to Fan Page) is a great place to get a shave and a hair cut. Also, to be more in touch with the buy local community, fan the page!